Sunday, February 17, 2008

Four-men in a little sled


So Friday night (Feb. 15) was a big night for Team Holm Bobsled. As a driver and as pushers, moving into four-man bobsled training after a season of two-man is a refreshing and exhilerating step!

And a little nerve wracking. While you might think that the two events are so closely related that there's no difference between the two, the honest truth is that there are big differences. The biggest would have to be for me, as a driver. The difference between driving a two-man sled and a four-man sled is comparable to the difference between driving a compact car and a full-sized tractor trailer rig. While they both go on the same road, their handling styles are worlds apart.

As it is in bobsled. In a two-man bobsled you are able to make quicker changes and corrections in your lines on the track. In a four-man sled, however, with that much mass moving at slightly faster speeds, well, its not as easy to drive. Once you drive a four-man sled into a line in a turn, it just stays there and when it gets to the end of the turn, if you don't start driving out of the turn at the right time, you can't just pull the sled down like you can in a two-man. Basically it boils down to the fact that four-man sleds are harder to correct and easier to roll over.

Four-man sleds are incredible examples of engineering. The fact that you can take an almost 1,400 pound sled and crew down the track at 80MPH in those tight turns, it just amazes me. And it sure made some of the newer pushers nervous!

I could see it on their faces as we got the sled prepped for training. To the untrained eye, the sled wasn't much to look at. You could tell that it had seen years of training and some neglect. The fiberglass body had cracks in it and the metal framework was rusted in several places. As a driver my main concern was the steering system. Was it rusted over? Was it responsive enough or would I have to drive heavy-handed? I had no idea and the thing about driving a new sled down the track is that you have about three turns to learn how the sled handles before the danger starts. So basically its a trial by fire 'learn it as you go' sort of experience.

Well, all the athletes breathed a sigh of relief when I told them that we weren't going to be pushing and jumping in at the start. Don (Osmond), and Hans were all a bit relieved when they found out that all they had to do was sit in the sled while Matt (Storms) walked us off the top and then jumped in. No running, no jogging, just a leisure walk. At least they had some peace of mind!

I was a bit nervous, I'll be honest. I've driven four-man sleds before, but it has been a little bit. About two years to be exact. So once we started down that ramp I started praying a bit. I trusted my abilities as a driver, I just didn't trust the sled yet.

The first run, while somewhat smooth, was a bit slower without the push and I was steering too much in the turns to keep us safe as I adjusted to the new steering system. But once we crossed the finish line right side up and with an ok downtime considering there was no push, well, I had a huge smile on my face. Honestly, we all did. We'd done it. We completed a four-man trip successfully, something some bobsledders never even do. When I asked if they all wanted to take a second trip the answer was a unanimous YES.

So we did. And it was a lot smoother and faster. Not by a ton since we didn't do a push start again and Matt just walked us off. But I eased up on the steering and let it run through the turns a bit more. We dropped a full 1.5 seconds off our time between the first and second runs! And we had even bigger smiles on our faces! It was so awesome! I couldn't stop smiling about it, I was so amped up! Everyone was so excited about it and we can't wait to try pushing the sled this upcoming week and loading in. Don and I and my cousin Caryn all went to grab dinner afterwards and I couldn't help myself, I just kept saying over and over again how much fun that was! I am so excited for this upcoming week as we get three days of training. Don was just as excited as we sat there eating our incredible nutritious Taco Bell!

So stayed tuned for this week's updates and pictures! Its going to be a great week!

1 comment:

Don said...

Yes, it is true that I was a little nervous about jumping into that sled, but everything turned out all right.

Click here