Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Terrible 52's


Actually, perhaps that title is a bit misleading. As a driver I'm so excited to see us consistantly throwing down 52 second down times on the track. Matt and I have been getting faster and faster in our pushes and we've watched this whole season as our times have been getting lower and lower.


I think sometimes in life, especially as athletes, we find ourselves focusing on where we are in contrast to where we want to be. Whether it be in a sport, at work, financially, physically, or socially, we all have 'somewhere' that we want to be. Some goal that we want to achieve that we feel will help us be happier. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm one of the biggest proponents of goals there is! But I think one important thing to keep in mind is that a goal should push us forward while helping us to find happiness with where we are at in life.


This past week we had one day where we posted times of 52.36 and 52.12. And all of us on the team want to reach the 51's so badly that we kind of looked at these low 52's with a groan and then a laugh. THAT close!


But you know what? It is just pushing us to work harder and it is definitely feeding our hunger to improve and do better. I feel that my teammates have helped me as a driver to do SO much better and we are all pushing each other to get stronger and faster physically. It really is a great season this year! One of my best I'd have to say.


So if you find yourself thinking "If only I had this" or "If only I was that" please take a lesson from a few humble bobsledders: learn to be happy where you are and you'll find it easier to reach your goal with a heart full of joy.

No comments: