Sunday, January 6, 2008

Stupid Paperwork



So, we all hate most paperwork. Reports, presentations, contracts, bills, and so forth. Who wants to be sitting in an office all day to face a stack of never ending papers?

Definitely not me! But last night, well, I had a Homer Simpson "D'oh!" moment that kept us from slidding.

You see, bobsledding does indeed have its risks of physical injury (or death as the legal documents point out). So, in order to slide each athlete has to have a couple of things:

  1. Valid Health Insurance
  2. A physical that states they are able to slide
  3. A completed packet of information sent to our national governing body, the USBSF
  4. A signed waiver releasing the bobsled track from any liability should we get hurt (or die)

I've got 3 out of the 4. When I went to sign my track waiver the person who was supposed to log me into the system was out on the track (unfortunately she got seriously injured that night). So, I just stuck the paperwork into my car and it got lost somewhere over the holidays.

Well, last night when we were up ready to slide one of the directors came up and asked about said paperwork. I didn't want to lie, so I told him I didn't have it with me. Problem? Big time. And the person who could enter it into the system had gone home for the day. So, we had to pack it up and just head to Main Street Park City for dinner. Although it wasn't a bad way to end the night eating at the Main Street Pizza and Noodle, we were still kind of bummed about the whole affair. So I apologize to all my friends who came up to watch us train last night! Don't worry though, I'm taking care of the paperwork today!

The point of the matter? As much as we all dislike paperwork, sometimes you just have to get it done!!!

No comments: