Friday, July 11, 2008

The Sports Injury List


So after 8 years in the sport, I find myself with my first really dumb injury. I wish I could say I had a cool story behind it, but no, just a stupid training incident that has left me with a Grade 2 strained/pulled hamstring.

Yesterday Don, one of our team pushers/brakeman, and I were practicing some squats, power cleans, front squats, and such in order to better prepare ourselves for a fitness test that is being administered at the Utah Olympic Oval on Saturday morning by our regional development coach. So, after going through the squats we wanted to go practice some sprints at the Cottonwood High School track nearby. No big deal, right? We arrived, set up the cones, and ran through a few sprints with no problems.

And then it happened.

Its my own fault really. I should have stretched out even more and then been more careful when sprinting, but my mind wasn't totally focused so my form was off a bit. As I began to lengthen my strides out a bit, I stepped down on my heel instead of the ball of my foot. This put immediate back pressure on my muscles and then as I tried to pull my body over that planted foot in the natural sprinting motion, POP, out goes my hamstring.

And when I say pop, I mean POP. I felt something pop in my leg, I took one more step, and collapsed....rather ungracefully I might ad. But hey, at least I only ended up with a few road-rash marks!

All I can say is that the pain was pretty intense. Well, at least it was when I tried to stretch out my leg. As long as I remained in the "I'm helpless" fetal position with my leg bent and my arms wrapped around it, I was fine. When Don tried to help me back to car, I almost collapsed a couple of times. And then driving home was definitely a chore since I couldn't straighten my leg, I had to move my car seat way up close to the pedals.

A lot of things go through your mind when you're laying there on the ground with an injury like that. Am I going to need surgery? How bad is it? How long will I bet out? How long until I can get back to my sport? Do I need medical assistance? etc etc. It all flashes through your mind in an instant.

I guess, as that all went through my mind, I felt a measure of peace from knowing that I've had a great career, I've got a great team to support, and I'm still young enough to recover and not have permanent damage.

So, with all that in mind, I'm just asking a favor of all those who believe in it to pray for a full and speedy recover so that I can get back out there with my friends and teammates. And thank you to all of you who have been so supportive in the short few hours since the injury occurred.

All I can say is this: stupid hamstring injuries!

Best wishes all!

No comments: